As "Normanby" FD 31

Reproduced with acknowledgement to The Bosuns Watch website

Astros  GN 48/GN 31           

Built 1917     Smith's Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough,   as "William Spencer" (Steel)
   
Yard No 700
   
Owner at New Admiralty  (Ad.No3521)
   
ID no 143903
   
Launch Date 19 .06.1917
   
Completed 25.07.1917
   
Gross Tons 275
   
Nett Tons 107
   
Engine 87 hp  T.3-cyl by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Newcastle
   
Length 125.5ft
   
Breadth 23.4ft
   
Depth 12.8ft
 

 

Owners  
24.01.1921 Registered at London LO 498
1924 Sold to the Mercantile
14.11.1924 London registry closed
1924 Owned by Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston Lincs (Fred Parkes manager)
21.11.1924 Renamed "NORMANBY"
21.11.1924 Registered at Fleetwood FD 31.
1926 Owned by Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Fred Parkes manager).
19.09.1935 Chartered for a month-long search off the Azores for the missing yacht "Altair" ( Azores to Plymouth). The search was unsuccessful.
01.1936 Owned by Liston Carnie, William Carnie Jnr & Thomas Young Carnie (Carnie & Gibb), Newhaven Edinburgh  (William Carnie Jnr  Glasgow manager)
31.01.1936 Fleetwood registry closed.
02.1936 Renamed  "ASTROS"
02.1936 Registered at Granton GN 48
18.12.1939 Attacked and damaged by enemy aircraft 115 miles E x N from May Island Firth of Forth. Crew took to the small boat but returned later. Skippers cabin caught fire but soon extinguished by crew with hose.
28.12.1939 Requisitioned and converted to Barrage Balloon Vessel (P No Z.130) (Hire rate 80.4.0d/month)
03.12.1943 Owned by Ministry of War Transport, London
03.12.1943 Granton registry closed
1945 Based at Portsmouth (Fraser & White Ltd, Portsmouth, agents).
03.1946 Sold to the Mercantile
03.1946 Owned by Joseph Croan, Newhaven  Edinburgh (owner/manager)
01.1947 Registered at Granton GN 31
17.10.1952 Skipper Robert Horne, at Edinburgh Sheriff Court fined 15 for landing 73 boxes of undersized Haddocks on 5th Sept.
03.1960 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co) for 2800.
15.03.1960 Arrived at Charlestown Fife
23.12.1960 Scrapped by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd at Charlestown, Fife