In Lerwick

Reproduced with acknowledgement to the Shetland Museum & Archives

Ceylonite  LH 246     

Built 1917   Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley as "Thomas Buckley"  (Steel)
   
Yard No 340p
   
Owner at New Admiralty (Ad No.3607)
   
ID no 144317
   
Launch Date 07.07.1917
   
Completed 22.12.1917    (Ordered by Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd Hull, purchased on the stocks by Admiralty).
   
Gross Tons 249
   
Nett Tons 109
   
Engine 83 hp   T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
   
Length 125.4ft
   
Breadth 22.5ft
   
Depth 12.2ft
 

 

Owners  
28.05.1919 Loaned to the U.S. Navy for minesweeping duties.
03.10.1919 Returned to Royal Navy.
02.08.1920 Registered at London LO 276
11.1922 Sold to the Mercantile.
11.1922 Acquired by original  owners Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (John W. Lown manager)
25.10.1922 London registry closed.
06.11.1922 Renamed "CEYLONITE".
06.11.1922 Registered at Hull H 724
29.01.1930 Owned by Taylor Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby   (Charles Taylor manager) 
29.01.1930 Hull registry closed.
01.02.1930 Registered at Grimsby GY 170
22.06.1939 Bill of Sale: Owned by St. Andrews Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull  (Basil Arthur Parkes manager).
09.04.1940 Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper (P.No.FY1853) joined 63rd Minesweeping Group based at Scapa Flow Orkney.
22.05.1946 Returned to Owners.
09.10.1947 Bill of Sale: Owned by Joseph Croan,  Newhaven Edinburgh (Joseph Croan owner/manager).
03.12.1947 Grimsby registry closed.
12.1947 Registered at Leith LH 246.
1960 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co) for 2750.
14.06.1960 Arrived at Charlestown Fife
12.06.1961 Scrapped by Ship Breaking Industries Ltd at Charlestown, Fife