Champion  GN 48

Built 1897   Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Steel)
Yard No 304
Owner at New Thomas L. Devlin,   Granton Edinburgh (owner/manager) 
ID no 99909
Launch Date 22.03.1897
Completed 04.1897
Gross Tons 160
Nett Tons 61
Engine 50 hp T.3-cyl by Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Length 105.3ft
Breadth 20.7ft
Depth 12ft


07.04.1897 Registered at Granton GN 48
03.01.1899 Came across the disabled S.T. "Mount Viso" GN 56 in the North Sea and towed her 90 miles to Granton. (1000 salvage fee claimed, 200 towage fee paid after court settlement)
15.04.1905 Ran ashore 1 mile east of Crail harbour near Fife Ness, Firth of Forth in thick fog; all nine crewmen rescued by Breeches Buoy.
28.05.1905 Refloated by the United Kingdom Insurance Club's salvage corps and towed to Granton for repairs.
04.01.1910 George Finlay severely burned when his clothes caught fire in engine room while fishing East of the Bell Rock Lighthouse. Skipper returned to Granton and the 52 yr old was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
05.1915 Requisitioned as a Boom Gate Vessel
01.1916 Fitted out as a Lightship to replace the North Carr Lightship which has been stationed at the Blae Rock off Burntisland Firth of Forth.
1919 Returned to Owners
28.02.1919 Thomas L. Devlin deceased, (Robert D. Devlin & Thomas L. Devlin Jnr managers) (Company Trustees -Grace Darney Devlin ( his wife); John Inglis, Peebles; Alex Stewart ( R. C. Priest) St Mary's Cathedral House Edinburgh)).
17.06.1919 Mortgaged by Thomas L. Devlin (Trustees), Granton Edinburgh (A).
17.06.1919 Mortgagee: John Inglis, Peebles, Peeblesshire.
01.1923 Peter Stevenson (23) Trimmer Newhaven washed overboard off the East Lothian coast.
08.02.1923 Mortgage (A) discharged upon the death of John Inglis
09.02.1923 In collision with the S.S. "Glitra" (2925g/1910) east of the Bass Rock, Firth of Forth.
05.07.1923 Owned by Thomas L. Devlin & Sons, Granton Edinburgh (Robert D. Devlin & Thomas L. Devlin Jnr owner/managers).
11.11.1926 Following the death of Robert D. Devlin; Thomas L. Devlin Jnr becomes owner/ manager.
1928 Sold as scrap.
23.10.1928 Granton registry closed.