In Granton

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to the James Slavin

              Contender GN 22                  

Built 1930  Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen  (Steel)
   
Yard No 711
   
Owner at New Thomas L. Devlin & Sons, Granton  Edinburgh (Thomas L. Devlin Jnr manager)
   
ID no 149177
   
Launch Date 15.04.1930
   
Completed 22.05.1930
   
Gross Tons 236
   
Nett Tons 114
   
Engine 64 hp  T.3-cyl by Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
   
Length 122.7ft
   
Breadth 23.1ft
   
Depth 12.4ft
   
Owners  
05.1930 Registered at Granton GN 22
02.1940 Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper, fitted with Oropesa gear (P No FY.543). Operated in North Sea from Lowestoft to Sheringham Shoal.
1942 Owned by Thomas L. Devlin & Sons Ltd ,Granton Edinburgh.
10.1945 Returned to Owners
Undated Owned by John Lewis & Sons Ltd & John Andrew Lewis, Aberdeen (Thomas L. Devlin & Sons Ltd, Granton managers)
12.04.1961 Ran aground at Whinnyfold  2 miles south of Crudens Bay  Aberdeen. Crew took to the Life Raft and landed safely. Declared a Total Loss.
   
  Note: - At the subsequent Board of Trade enquiry the Skipper and mate were found guilty of negligence, Skipper Donald Angus Mackay severely censured and ordered to pay 100 costs. Mate Duncan Stalker had his certificate suspended for twelve months.
   
   
 
Landing at the Middle Pier Granton 1950
   Reproduced with acknowledgement to the James Slavin