Empire Fisher LH 251 second from right at Granton circa 1948

Reproduced with acknowledgement to Walter L Hume Isle of Wight

Empire Fisher  LH 251

Built 1922    Reiherstiegwerft,   Hamburg    Germany   as "Herrlichkeit"  (Steel)
Yard No 549
Owner at New Cuxhavener Hochseefischerei A.G, Cuxhaven  Germany
ID no 167620
Launch Date 29.06.1922
Completed 1922
Gross Tons 235
Nett Tons 90
Engine 49 hp   T.3-cyl by Rieherst Maschinenf, Hamburg Germany
Length 125.8ft
Breadth 24.2ft
Completed 9.6ft


1922 Registered at Cuxhaven
1928 Lengthened to 140.2ft (268g/105n)
1930 Owned by "Nordsee" Deutsche Hochseefischerei, Bremen Cuxhaven A.G. Germany
12.02.1940 Captured by HMS "Glasgow"(P.N.21) off the Norwegian coast near Tromso (69.56N  16.49E) (or 68.24N  11.05E Rosyth War Diary). In poor material condition and capable of only 4-5 knots, escorted towards Aberdeen and in worsening weather taken in tow by  HMS "Glasgow".
17.02.1940  Due to stress of weather put into Fraserburgh. 
21.02.1940 Arrived at Aberdeen
03.1940 Owned by Ministry of Shipping, London
30.07.1940 After essential repairs, renamed "EMPIRE FISHER"  O.N. Issued 167620
30.07.1940 Registered at London LO 315 (H. Markham Cook appointed manager)
1941 Owned by Ministry of War Transport London  (H. Markham Cook manager)
27.03.1944 - 09.10.1944 Carried out eight landings at Fleetwood (Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd Fleetwood managers)
10.1946 Transferred to the Ministry of Transport
03.02.1948 Owned by Hunter Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh (Robert Souza appointed manager)      (Skipper Frank Steele)
02.1948 London registry closed.
03.02.1948 Re-measured at Leith 284g/120n.
26.02.1948 Registered at Leith LH 251 
03.03.1948 Mortgaged by Hunter Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh (A).
03.03.1948 Mortgagee, Clydesdale Bank Ltd, Glasgow
12.08.1950 George Hunter appointed manager
1952 Laid up at Granton and stripped of all usable parts.
12.02.1952 Mortgage (A) discharged.
26.03.1952 Owned by W. J. Sweeney, Achill Sound Co. Mayo Ireland (owner/manager).
16.04.1952 Leith registry closed.
1952 Registered at Dublin  D 315
21.02.1952 Scrapped by Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Co. Cork, Ireland