Landing the catch

Reproduced with acknowledgement to Johnleif Joensen, Faeroe Islands (trawlerphotos.co.uk)

 

                                                Fairfree  LH 271

Built 1944   Redfern Shipbuilders, Toronto Canada as  HMCS "Coppercliff" (Steel)
   
Yard No 54
   
Owner at New Royal Canadian Navy
   
ID no 169498
   
Launch Date 19.01.1944
   
Completed 10.08.1944
   
Gross Tons 1305
   
Nett Tons 575
   
Engine 2000 hp  T.3-cyl by Montreal Locomotive Co Ltd, Canada.  
   
Length 210.6ft
   
Breadth 35.1ft
   
Depth 12ft
   
Owners  
1944 Owned by Royal Navy.
1944 Renamed HMS "FELICITY".
1946 Owned by a Syndicate for conversion to stern trawler purchased for 5000.
10.1947 Renamed "FAIRFREE".
10.1947 Registered at Glasgow GW 19. O.N. Issued 169498
10.1947 Owned by Christian Salvesen Ltd, Leith Edinburgh (after extensive trials) .   Over time moved from Granton/Leith to Immingham.
1947 Glasgow registry closed.
1947 Registered at Leith LH 271.
08.1949 Diesel engine fitted 4 SCSA   2 x 12-cyl oil engine 2500 hp by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport.
1951 Owned by The South Georgia Co Ltd, Leith Edinburgh, later laid up at the Shore, Leith Edinburgh.
1957 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co) for 15500.
29.08.1957 Arrived at Charlestown, Fife
30.08.1957 Scrapped by Ship Breaking Industries Ltd at Charlestown, Fife 
   
   
  "Fairfree" the name is loosely based on Fairfield ship yards who converted her and the fact that she cost -23 after surplus parts were sold off.
   
  Skipper on maiden voyage Leopold Dickson Romyn from Hull
   
    See   Fairfree Experiment
   
 
  Copy of a painting Reproduced with acknowledgement to Jim Rae, Auchtermuchty Scotland