In Aberdeen as River Learney A.564

         Reproduced with acknowledgement to Mark Stopper

 

Star of Learney  A.387

Built 1918   Rennie Forrest Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe, Essex as "George Ireland" (Steel)
   
Yard No 1313
Owner at New Admiralty   (Ad.No.3846)
   
ID no 147959
   
Launch Date 11.1918
   
Completed 25.10.1919
   
Gross Tons 206
   
Nett Tons 79
   
Engine C.4-cyl 11" & 22" - 10" steam engine driving experimental water jet propulsion.
   
Length 115.4ft
   
Breadth 22.1ft
 

 

Depth 12.1ft
   
Owners  
1919 New boiler fitted
1920 Renamed "TEVIOT"
1922 Experimental water jet propulsion replaced with a conventional shafting and propeller
1922 Re-engined with a 61 hp  T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd,  Glasgow (Engine built 1921).
1923 Sold to the Mercantile
1923 Owned by Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd,  Boston Lincs (Fred Parkes manager) 
1923 Renamed "FIRSBY"
1923 Registered at Boston BN 205
1923 Owned by General Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Granton Edinburgh     (Adam E. Noble manager)
01.1926 Towed German trawler "Senator Heidmann" from Pentland Firth to Aberdeen. The task of towing this vessel was made more difficult by the heavy seas and the tow rope snapping three times.
25.03.1928 Ran aground at the mouth of the river Ugie 1 mile north of Peterhead., refloated with help from Leith tug "Earl of Powis"
1928 Boston registry closed.
26.12.1928 Renamed "ROSEBERY". 
26.12.1928 Registered at Granton GN 104
1929 Owned by Archibald G. Brown, Granton  Edinburgh (owner/manager) (After the purchase of the General Steam Fishing Co Ltd).
19.01.1934 Ran ashore on the top of the spring tide near Crail, Fife, Leith Salvage & Towage Co Ltd made an unsuccessful attempt to refloat her using the steam tug "Bullger"
16.03.1934 Refloated on the spring tide (31.5 ft at Leith) with the aid of the Leith Salvage & Towage Co Ltd's steam tug "Oxcar" and taken to Leith for repair.
1935 Owned by Walker Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Aberdeen (T. Walker manager).
1935 Granton registry closed.
07.12.1935 Registered at Aberdeen A.387.
01.02.1936 Renamed "STAR OF LEARNEY"
25.12.1942 Stranded at Kirkwall Orkney, later refloated.
14.04.1943 Declared a Total Constructive Loss by Insurers.
1943 Salved and returned to service
1943 Owned by J. N. Stephen,  Aberdeen.
20.10.1943 Registered at Aberdeen A.564
20.10.1943 Owned by W. Wood, Aberdeen
13.05.1944 Owned by John William Johnstone Ltd, Aberdeen 
13.12.1947 Renamed "RIVER LEARNEY".
31.12.1958 Owned by Peter & J. Johnstone Ltd, Aberdeen.
1960 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co).
09.01.1960 Scrapped by James A. White at St David's on Forth.
01.04.1960 Aberdeen registry closed.