As a Tug in Leith

Reproduced with acknowledgement to Captain Walter Lyle Hume, Isle of Wight

Flying Fish  LH 99

Built 1882    J. T.  Eltringham & Co Ltd,   South  Shields (Iron)
   
Yard No 100
   
Owner at New Joseph Siddell,  Sunderland (owner/manager)
   
ID no 85014
   
Launch Date 03.06.1882
   
Completed 1882
   
Gross Tons 152
   
Nett Tons 59
   
Engine 75 hp Side Lever L.2-cyl by J.P. Rennoldson & Sons,  South Shields
   
Length 116ft
   
Breadth 19.6ft
   
Depth 10.3ft
   
Owners  
Undated Converted to trawler.
Undated Registered at Sunderland SD 286.
18.03.1884 Ran aground in Berwick Harbour later refloated.
26.11.1885 Struck South Carr Rock steamed to Granton for repairs.
1887 Owned by Fairley Downs, Sunderland (owner/manager).
06.02.1892 Arrived in Aberdeen disabled.
07.1894 While fishing  18 miles SE from Montrose caught a fish with a metal tag attached (bearing the No20). This fish had just recently been marked by the Fishery Board for scientific purposes.
1894 Owned by Stephenson Chisholm & W. H. Dodds, Aberdeen (Stephenson Chisholm manager).
10.06.1897 Became disabled when the starboard paddle wheel gave way while fishing 40 miles south of Aberdeen. Towed into Aberdeen by S.T. "Marion" DE 14.
02.07.1897 Despatched to the assistance of the steam liner "Azalea" GY 199 (165g/1889) which had ran ashore on the island of Stoma in the Pentland Firth.
23.08.1898 Collided with the S.T. "Strathdon"A.660 approximately 25 miles east of Aberdeen, Causing considerable damage, which cut away around ten feet of the fore end.
24.08.1898 Arrived in Aberdeen in tow of S.T "Strathdon" A 660, both vessels were beached for repairs.
1900 Owned by Thomas L. Devlin, Granton Edinburgh (owner/manager). 
1900 Sunderland registry closed.
1900 Registered at Leith LH 99.
10.10.1906 Owned by John S. Wilson, Bo' ness West Lothian (owner/manager)
10.1906 Leith registry closed.
10.1906 Registered at Bo' ness.
1907 Re - engined 76hp  L.2-cyl by Hepple & Co Ltd, South Shields, new boiler fitted and reverted  to tug.
1914 Requisitioned as Dockyard Tug
1918 Converted to minelayer but not completed.
30.09.1919 Owned by  Leith Salvage & Towing Co Ltd, Leith Edinburgh (C. Black manager).
09.1919 Bo' ness registry closed.
1920 J. Little & Co Ltd appointed managers.
09.1909 Registered at Leith.
1920 Returned to Owners
1947 Owned by Charles Duncan & Sons Ltd,  Middlesbrough Owners
1947 Leith registry closed.
1947 Registered at Middlesbrough.
1950 Sold as scrap.
01.1951 Scrapped by J. J. King & Co Ltd  at Gateshead.
   
   
 

Note: - Ordered for Clyde Shipping Co Glasgow but sold before launch