As Sarba FD 177

Reproduced with acknowledgement to David Slinger

Forth View LH 227

Built 1913     John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co Ltd,   Aberdeen  as "Sarba"   (Steel)
   
Yard No 387
   
Owner at New New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood)  Ltd, Fleetwood (Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd managers)
   
ID no 132417
   
Launch Date 08.05.1913
   
Completed 06.1913
   
Gross Tons 315
   
Nett Tons 128
   
Engine 69 hp   T.3-cyl by J. Abernethy & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
   
Length 130ft
   
Breadth 23.6ft
   
Depth 13.4ft
   
Owners  
16.06.1913 Registered at Fleetwood FD 177
11.1914 Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper (Ad.No.928) based at Queenstown, Co Cork Ireland.
07.05.1915 Passenger liner "LUSITANIA"  (30,396grt/1907) on passage New York Liverpool with 1,959 passengers. At about 2.00 pm. when 15 miles off Old Head of Kinsale torpedoed by submarine (U21); sank in 18 minutes in position 51.24N 08.31W. Left Queenstown and arrived on scene just after 3.00 pm. picked up survivors and assisted others in boats. Landed at Queenstown.
*04.01.1918 At 8.40 am off Daunt Light Vessel observed U-boat periscope. Attacked and dropped two depth charges, later a demolition charge dropped on position, with resultant oil and debris release. Kill claimed in position 7.5 miles south  from Daunt Light Vessel in position 51.35N 8.12W. The Admiralty subsequently concurred and a bounty of 500 was paid to crew. *
1919 Returned to Owners
1924 Owned by New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd appointed managers.
11.1939 Requisitioned and converted to Boom Defence Vessel  based at Sheerness (P.No.Z.139) (Hire rate 81.7.6d/month).
23.11.1943 Compulsorily purchased by the Ministry of War Transport.
17.01.1944 Fleetwood registry closed.
1944 Based on Thames, Townsend Bros Ltd, London agents.
27.10.1946 Sold to Mercantile
27.10.1946 Owned by John  Horne, Port Seton East Lothian.  
01.1947 Renamed  "FORTH VIEW"
01.1947 Registered at Leith LH 227.
1952 Owned by Heather Fishing Co Ltd, Newhaven Edinburgh (Thomas H. Scales Ltd managers)
1952 Leith registry closed.
1952 Renamed "HEATHER ISLAND"
1952 Registered at Granton GN 61
1953 Owned by Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
1953 Granton registry closed.
1953 Renamed  "DREADNOUGHT"
1953 Registered at Aberdeen A.144
08.1956 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co) for 4900.
08.08.1956 Arrived at Charlestown, Fife
08.08.1956 Scrapped by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd at Charlestown  Fife 
   
*02.2010

Research by Peter Bell and Michael Lowery has confirmed that U-boat was (U110) but escaped with no damage reported. Oil and material at given position must have been from a previous wreck)