New Comet  GN 38

Built 1915     Alexander  Hall & Sons Ltd   Aberdeen  as "Goeland II"  (Steel)
   
Yard No 509
   
Owner at New Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool (Robert Harley manager)
   
ID no 137432
   
Launch Date 02.1915
 
Completed 03.1915
 
Gross Tons 245
   
Nett Tons 93
   
Engine 91 hp    T.3-cyl by Alexander Hall & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen
   
Length 120.7ft
   
Breadth 22.6ft
 
Depth 12ft
   
Owners  
22.03.1915 Registered at Liverpool LL 2
03.1915 Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper (Ad.No.1194) based at Dover.
29.10.1915: Arrested Danish S.S. "Rhodesia" trying to cross Folkestone boom. Escorted to Downs.
23.02.1916: Attached to Unit.91 Dover Patrol, picked up one dead crew member of S.S. "Sea Serpent"  (902g/1898) mined in Channel.
1919 Returned to Owners.
1919 Owned by Port St Mary Fishing & Curing Co Ltd, London  (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
03.1919 Liverpool registry closed.
31.03.1919 Registered at Fleetwood  FD 109.
1924 New Docks Steam Fishing Co (Fleetwood) Ltd   appointed managers.
12.1926 Owned by Charles R. Baskcomb,  Grimsby (owner/manager).  
10.12.1926 Fleetwood registry closed.
13.12.1926 Registered at Grimsby GY 406.
01.1927 Lloyds class withdrawn
05.1928 Owned by Baskcomb & Northcote Ltd, Grimsby (Charles R. Baskcomb manager).
05.1933 Owned by James  Johnston, Newhaven Edinburgh (owner/manager) 
29.05.1933 Grimsby registry closed.
06.1933 Renamed  "NEW COMET".
06.1933 Registered at Granton GN 38
28.11.1939 Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper (Magnetic) (P.No. FY.760) (Hire rate 67.7.6d/month).
23.11.1940

Damaged by a mine explosion 1.5 miles east off the River Tyne. All twenty crewmen rescued by the Tynemouth lifeboat "Westmoreland". Another minesweeper took the "New Comet" in tow and beached her. The Admiralty sent its thanks for this service and the trawler Captain based at North Shields sent 5 in gratitude for the rescue (Rewards 19 3s 3d), repaired and returned to service.

07.1943 Converted to an ESSO (Fuel carrier)(P.No.Y.7.21).
06.06.1944 Took part in the Normandy landings as part of Force G
1944 Owned by William & James Coull Johnston, Newhaven Edinburgh.
10.1945 Owned by Anglo Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (J. R. Cobley manager).
10.1945 Granton registry closed.
10.1945 Registered at Grimsby GY 122.
29.12.1945 Returned to Owners.
1950 Leslie Little appointed manager.
10.1952 Sold as scrap..