"Strathcoe" as HMT "Vernon"

© Reproduced with acknowledgement to Joe Kerr

Strathcoe  GN 21

Built 1916   Hall Russell & Co Ltd,  Aberdeen     (Steel)
Yard No     592
Owner at New Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd,  Aberdeen (John Brown manager)
ID no 139789
Launch Date 07.12.1916
Completed 01.1917
Gross Tons 215
Nett Tons 93
Engine 74 hp   T.3-cyl by Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Length 117.3ft
Breadth 22.1ft
Depth 13.8ft


02.01.1917 Registered at Aberdeen A.751
01.1917 Requisitioned from the builders and converted to minesweeper (Ad No.2991) based at Dover.
08.1918 Purchased into the Royal Navy
20.11.1919 Aberdeen registry closed.
1919 Converted to a minelayer capable of carrying 24 mines.
01.1924 Converted to a base ship and renamed VERNON” and attached as a tender to HMS Vernon” at Portsmouth for mine laying trials.
1933 Based at Malta and reverted to “Strathcoe”.
1938 Paid off and placed on the Reserve list.
1939 Placed on the list of vessels for sale.
1942 Employed on Harbour Services (P.No.FY.1594).
09.1943 Converted to an ESSO (Fuel carrier).
04.1946 Sold to the Mercantile.
04.1946 Owned by Granton Trawling Co Ltd, Granton Edinburgh (William Carnie manager)
04.1946 Registered at Granton GN 21
1948 Owned by Alexander Glen Brown, Granton Edinburgh.
11.1952 Three crewmen namely William Lodge, David Mearns & George Penman washed overboard while gutting 72 miles off Buchan Ness, all three were quickly brought back onboard.
1953 Owned by Joe Croan Ltd,  Granton Edinburgh (Joe Croan manager)
1955 Owned by Bruces Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen A 6
1955 Granton registry closed.
02.1955 Registered at Aberdeen A.6.
04.02.1959 Ran ashore south of Santoo Head, Hoy Orkney. Force 9  SE gale, crew rescued by Longhope Lifeboat, the RNLI Silver medal awarded to Coxswain Daniel Kirkpatrick.
10.06.1959 At the subsequent Board of Trade Inquiry Skipper James Hird was found to have been negligent and his certificate suspended for two years.