As General Birdwood H 121 at Fleetwood

Reproduced with acknowledgement to John Clarkson & The Bosuns Watch website

Woodesse  GW 6

Built 1919      Cochrane & Sons Ltd,  Selby  as "James McLaughlin" (Steel)
   
Yard No 893
   
Owner at New Admiralty  (Ad.No.4250)
   
ID no 144023
   
Launch Date 1.05.1919
 
Completed 07.11.1919 completed as a fishing vessel
   
Gross Tons 327
   
Nett Tons 129
   
Engine 87 hp    T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd,  Hull
   
Length 138.3ft
   
Breadth 23.7ft

 

Depth 12.7ft
 

 

Owners  
1919 Sold to the Mercantile.
07.11.1919 Owned by Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull (Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer, managers).
18.11.1919 Renamed "GENERAL BIRDWOOD".
18.11.1919 Registered at Hull H 121.
1928 Fish carrier for halibut fishery in Davis Straits, Greenland.
24.11.1933 Owned by Fred Parkes & Basil Arthur Parkes, Fleetwood (Basil Arthur Parkes manager).
08.1939 Purchased into the Royal Navy(6000) and converted to minesweeper (P.No.FY.724).
27.10.1939 Hull registry closed.
1940 Attached to 93rd  Minesweeping group based at Freetown Sierra Leone.
03.1944 Converted to an ESSO (Fuel carrier) and deployed as a smoke making trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune Normandy landings.
11.06.1944 Sailed Solent for Mulberry B with Group A1 as part of Convoy ETC6. Employed smoke making.
03.07.1944 Operation Neptune ended.
1946 Sold to the Mercantile.
05.1946 Owned by Easton Trawling Co Ltd, Swansea
05.1946 Renamed "WOODESSE"
05.1946 Registered at Swansea SA 23.
06.1949 Owned by John S. Boyle Ltd, Glasgow (Richard Allan Manager) 
06.1949 Swansea registry closed.
28.06.1949 Registered at Glasgow GW 6.
1955 Sold as scrap to BISCO (British Iron & Steel Co).
05.1955 Scrapped by Malcolm Brechin at Granton.